Saturday 28 January 2012

Saturday shallot

Greetings Allotfetishists!
Let's hear it for the Weekend! Huzzar!

Up bright and early followed by a beautiful homemade bacon butty by my own fair hand. I'm a natural cook  and as the wife and offspring are away I have all weekend to myself. So off to fill up Flower Power ( the car ) did I mention she was free? and off to pick up this weeks horse offerings but Hell! they had hardly done anything this week. So off down the local farm round the corner to pick up some second hand tomato grow bags which I've used in the greenhouse. I've filled my seed trays and preped my tomato beds and it's all looking tickety boo.

Seeds- yep we all have them and the books tell us and the packets tell us and everyone tells us whens the best time to sow? Well here in Sunny Jersey I have decided to try and go ahead of what the packet says by a month...ish. So today I've put in some runner and broad  beans in and we'll see what happens. Now a couple of weeks ago my neighbour Ollie planted some peas and by the next day a mouse had dug up and had the lot. So clever clogs here has put an upturned seed tray over his with a full one on top to keep the varmits out. Germination allegedly takes a week so we'll see what happens.

Much that I hate it I've followed the farmers and covered my spuds in plastic. Next year I'll vraic early and we'll see how diferent they are. I notice my other neighbour Chris has also covered his. Typically like his immaculate planting his plastic is beautifuly neat. Mine is shabby chique or so I like to think. Proof will be in the pudding.

Back to the water problem - I decided today that it was about time to get my butt up and running. Yes yes...I know ...funny...my water butt people...stay focussed! What with all the French mist we've been getting it seems silly not to prepare for those dusty times.

Didn't do much more other than clear the broken glass and metal bits that I've been digging up...nearly there.

Tomorro's another 'lotment day.

Abetot for now as we say in Jerri.

No comments:

Post a Comment